Vegan, oil-free and gluten-free Red Velvet cake. The cake is quick to prepare and requires only a few ingredients. The creamy cake is perfect for breakfast, an afternoon café or dessert 🍰
I was once again looking for a healthy and vegan cake recipe. On the page of Elavegan I found what I was looking for, I tested the recipe for you. I knew Red Velvet still from Canada, there were many different desserts as Red Velvet variant, however much to sweet and not Vegan 😃 Therefore I was curious like the Vegan version would taste. The cake is very juicy and tasty, it doesn’t taste like the original but it is a lot healthier.
I wish you lot of fun trying it out,
your Lea 😘
- 150 g oat flour (gluten-free if required)
- 100 g sugar of your choice (in my case date syrup)
- 75 g coconut flakes
- 2 Tbsp beetroot powder (or juice)
- 1 Tbsp Cocoa
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 240 ml vegetable milk (in my case oat milk)
- 1 crushed banana (approx. 80g)
- 1/2 tbsp vinegar (apple vinegar)
- 240 ml Oat milk
- 20 g Cornstarch
- 80 g sugar of your choice (in my case agaves thick juice)
- 180 g Cashew nuts (soaked)
- Soak the cashew nuts in hot water for about 45 minutes, in the meantime preheat the oven to 180 degrees and slide out the baking tin with baking paper (my tin measures 23 x 15 cm).
- Mix the grated coconut briefly in a blender, put them together with the remaining dry ingredients in a bowl and mix, then add the remaining liquid ingredients to the dry ones and mix with a whisk.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20- 25 minutes, then let cool.
- For the cream we boil 2/3 of the vegetable milk with our sweetener, the starch we mix with 1/3 of the milk in a separate bowl. As soon as the milk comes to the boil we stir in the starch mixture and let the pudding simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Put the soaked cashews together with the pudding into a high performance mixer and mix the mixture for 1-2 minutes until a creamy and lump-free mixture is obtained.
- spread the mixture on the cooled base. Place the cake in the freezer for approx. 2 hours until the cream has set. Then enjoy and store in the fridge.