This apple pie is so incredibly delicious 😍 slightly salty cake dough with a fruity slightly sour apple filling
I’ve wanted to try an American Apple Pie for a long time, I found a good recipe and converted it into a vegan variant. The cake tastes very good when it’s still lukewarm but it also tastes great the next day. Now in the cold season such a piece of warm apple pie is simply excellent and perfect for Sunday coffee.
Ingredients for the dough:
- 300 g Flour
- 1 EL Sugar
- 1 TL Salt
- 175 g margarine
- 6 Tbsp cold Water
Ingredients for the filling:
- 900 g apples (without skin) approx. 7-8 small apples
- 125 g brown Sugar
- 50 g Date Sweetness
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 1 Lemon (Juice and Skin)
- 1 Pinch Nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon oat milk to brush on
- For the dough sift flour into a bowl and mix with sugar and salt.
- Add the margarine (flakes) and knead with your fingers until the mixture is crumbly.Then add the water, not all at once. Only as much as is needed to make a smooth shortcrust pastry. Press the dough flat and keep cool.
- For the filling we peel the apples, remove the core and cut them into small pieces. In a small bowl, stir the remaining ingredients for the filling, then add to the apples and mix everything.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C circulating air.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and cut it in half. Roll out one half round and put it into a cake tin (26cm diameter). A small edge should appear.
- Now we put the apple filling on the shortcrust pastry and distribute it, pile it up a little in the middle.
- Roll out the other half of the dough, cut strips about 1.5 cm wide with a knife. Place a grid over the apples and press down well on the edges.
- Bake at 200 °C on the lowest rack for 10 minutes, then switch down to 180 °C and bake for another 60 minutes until the grid strips have a light crust.
- After baking, allow to cool briefly and enjoy lukewarm.